Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ode to S.K.S.

I have spent seven years in this place,

Made and lost more friends than I can remember.

Of all the people who’ve been here as long as I,

All the people I’ve known this whole time,

You are the only one who I can think of

When I’m trying to think of

Who have I know best since I’ve been here?

What friend have I had since the very beginning?

 

 

The funny thing is

We didn’t like each other at first.

And I remember the Christmas decoration party

That I wasn’t invited to

But I didn’t really get it at the time.

And after that we went from

Thick as thieves,

And on the fritz;

There and back

A hundred times,

But a constant bond.

A sense of pack loyalty,

A solid friendship.

 

 

Seven years have passed,

And when I think of you

I think of someone who is beautiful.

Someone who has put up with

My asking, “Guess what I have for lunch!” every day,

And talking too much in class.

And someone who I’m sure is thankful,

For not getting mad over the razor sharp sarcasm,

Or the tumultuous mood swings.

 

Sometimes the green bile

Builds up, and burns my mouth.

But I spit it out, quickly,

Knowing and thankful,

That you are sweet,

And that more than

Cancels out the venom.

 

If you had talked to me

Seven years ago,

And made me guess

Where I’d be,

And whom I’d be with

For the next seven,

I wouldn’t have had a clue.

But looking back on those seven years;

I can’t imagine a single one

Without you.